Auto theft continues to be a serious problem in Arvada and the surrounding Metro area. In the past few years, many of Arvada's reported auto thefts have been preventable as approximately 20% of the stolen vehicle crimes involved cars left running unattended or with the keys left inside the vehicle. Below are a few tips to help you.
- Take your keys - Never leave your keys inside your car (in plain view or in the center console)
- Lock your car - You make yourself an easy target by leaving your car doors unlocked
- Never hide a second set of keys in your car
- Park in well-lighted areas
- Never leave your car running even if you'll only be gone for a minute - If you stop by a convenience store for a quick cup of coffee before going to work, be sure to turn off your car, take the keys and lock the doors. The Arvada Police Department receives dozens of calls each year from convenience stores, gas stations, ATMs, etc. where a vehicle was left running unattended and stolen by a car thief.
- Completely close car windows when parking
- Don't leave valuables in plain view - Wallets, purses, even computers can be stolen in seconds. Don't make yourself or your property an easy target.
- If you have a garage, use it - When parking your car in the garage, never ever leave your keys inside the ignition.
Combined with locking your car doors, rolling up your windows and removing all personal belongings from your vehicle, a steering wheel locking device (such as the Club) can be an effective auto theft deterrent. An auto thief can easily see the Club, even before they break out a window or begin prying on your door locks. The device is difficult to remove and makes it more difficult to steal your car. The Club can be purchased at various retail stores and over the internet. The Club costs between $15 - $30.