The Arvada Police Department recognizes that Lateral-Entry Candidates can bring advanced skills and work experience to our department.
Interested out-of-state lateral candidates must have three years of experience to qualify for certification under Colorado POST regulations.
Any current lateral law enforcement officers under Colorado POST may apply.
In addition to the normal minimum qualifications for police officer, lateral entry candidates will:
- Possess a Colorado P.O.S.T. Certification with a minimum of one-year's experience as a patrol officer with a civilian law enforcement agency having a policing environment similar to that found in most urban or suburban settings.
- If an out-of-of state lateral candidate, along with the three year minimum law enforcement experience, the candidate must have the ability to test out and obtain Colorado POST certification.
- Whether a candidate is a current officer or one who left policing in good standing, they must provide for a full and unconditional release of prior personnel records including disclosure of the existence and content of any sealed files.
- Lateral entry candidates must participate in all Arvada screening and testing processes for police officer.
- The Oral Interview for lateral candidates will focus on the advanced skills expected of an experienced police officer. Oral Board members may consist of two sergeants, one commander, and one deputy chief.
- Lateral entry candidates will be allowed to accelerate through the field-training program as capable. Lateral candidates must complete the Field Training Program as designed but the training time frame may be modified by the FTO Coordinator on a case-by-case basis.
Lateral entry candidates with:
- At least one year but less than two years street experience start at one step above the entry-level salary.
- At least two years but less than three years street experience start at two steps above the entry-level salary.
- At least three years but less than five years street experience start at three steps above the entry level salary.
- Five or more years street experience start at four steps above the entry-level salary.
- Upon completion of the probation period, lateral entry candidates will be allowed to credit their total years service as a law enforcement officer toward eligibility for assignment or promotion.
- Lateral entry candidates with Arvada are not faced with the prospect of attending another academy program, as is the case with many other agencies.
For more information, contact Officer Patrick McCloskey at 720-898-6671 or Officer Joe Gravelle at 720-898-6668.