Early Arvada's country lanes were not made for automobile traffic, a fact which became obvious soon after the first county automobile license was issued in 1908. Rail transportation was a boon to the area. In 1902 the Denver Interurban, fondly called "the trolley", began regular runs from Arvada to Denver. The line was extended to the coal camp at Leyden and a run of the trolley "every hour on the hour" could carry both coal and passengers. The trolley made its last run on June 25th, 1950.
In 1877 a road was built from Clear Creek north to Arvada. Later, a bridge was built over Clear Creek, and by 1917, traffic had increased on the road to the point that a warning signal had to be established at the railroad crossing. Road improvements for the entire town became more and more necessary. Wadsworth road was graveled, and in 1922, Arvada's Town Board ordered 52 loads of gravel to be dumped on Grand View Avenue. The men of the Town, shovels in hand, spread the gravel through the business district to connect Arvada's "Main Street" with the under-construction cement road from Denver, which would terminate at Graves Avenue (Lamar-Marshall Street). The first Arvada Harvest Festival was held in October of 1925 to celebrate the completion of the paved road.
On October 15, 1941 the first traffic light was installed at the corner of Wadsworth and Grandview (in 1934 the street was renamed Grandview from Grand View). This was the first traffic light in Jefferson County!
On January 28, 1967, the "super highway," Interstate 70, was opened between Wadsworth and Kipling streets.