- This is your first offense
- You are 10-17 years old
- You were charged with a crime listed under eligible offenses
- You did not receive more than one charge
- You received a letter in the mail before your arraignment stating that you are eligible.
Teen Court may be right for you if:
- You want to be sentenced by a magistrate panel or jury of your peers, rather than an adult
- You want to avoid having a juvenile conviction on your record (through a deferred judgement)
- You would like to present witnesses and evidence and have your case heard by your peers.
What you should consider:
- Teen Court requires that you return to be sentenced on a Wednesday evening, 2-4 weeks after you are originally seen in Court.
- A parent or guardian MUST appear with you.
- Your sentence may be lighter or it may be more harsh than one given by the Judge.
- You are giving up your right to have an adult attorney try your case.