Sanitary Sewer System
Each year about 3.4 billion gallons of wastewater is transmitted to the Metro Wastewater Reclamation District for treatment. The Metro Wastewater Reclamation District offices and plant are located at 6450 York Street near Commerce City.
To get the waste to Metro, the Wastewater Division is responsible for the maintenance and continuous operation of 410 miles of sanitary sewer mains and 9,500 manholes. The following operations are undertaken:
* Jet clean the entire Sanitary Sewer Main System once every two years to remove solids build-up and prevent clogs.
* Video-inspect the entire Sanitary Sewer Main System once every seven years.
* Rehabilitate, replace, or repair deteriorated Sanitary Sewer Lines.
Storm Sewer System
Stormwater flows off of roofs, roads and sidewalks during precipitation events and is carried into local streams by way of gutters and storm sewers. The Wastewater Division is responsible for maintenance of over 140 miles of storm sewer lines and 50 miles of underdrains. In addition, 2,800 inlets and 600 outlets are maintained as needed. Storm sewer maintenance includes:
* Jet clean, video inspect and/or rehabilitate storm sewers
* Clean storm inlets and remove blockages of leaves and debris
* Respond to spills or illegal discharges
To report wastewater or storm sewer problems Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, call 720-898-7770.
To report emergencies after-hours or on weekends, call 720-898-7820.